Saturday, June 21, 2014

Plus size Disney princess?

           Some woman started a petition to involve a story with a plus size Disney princess. Here is some pros and cons to this. Well their is only one con to this. It probably wouldn't be historically accurate. Fairy tales are taken from stories that were passed on from generation to generation by story tellers and published by fairy tale writers. Back in those time there weren't many heavy set princesses. Well that was a dumb con huh.
           Anyways there are many pros to this. The first one is that female's self images would skyrockets because they don't have to feel like they have to be skinny. Second is that we need a change. The third is that is could open up other possibilities. Like a beautiful princess falling for a not so attractive prince. A man who was evil, but changed his heart in the end and ended up with the princess, or even a plain looking woman who ends up with a well looking man. I am opening this blog with a discussion. Do you agree, or disagree with this post?

3 comments:

  1. I think they should do it. I mean they finally did a black princess in Princess and The Frog. and come on..........there are many different shapes and sizes and we shouldn't put out there to the younger generation that skinny is the only way to be in life. I will never be skinny again, but I am comfortable with my body because I know it gave me the children I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a heavy set woman myself I think that Disney ought to make a plus size princess. It's so sad that society teaches young girls that they have to be a certain size. No wonder so many girls become anorexic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm conflicted on this. I'm definitely a bigger girl, and I saw an adorable fanart of Anna and Elsa where Anna was plus size and totally wish they would have done that(I'm a little biased though cuz my cosplay is a plus sized anna). But unfortunately, for younger girls, I don't think Disney would see it as marketable, and that is exactly what drives their decisions. I would love to see a study to see if it was marketable though(mainly to little girls, their main demographic) but alas, I do not know how they could do that.

    ReplyDelete